Saturday, November 15, 2008

Heavenly bodies


On Saturday evening, 01NOV08, as I walked out of the building where I work (hurrying on my way to dinner), I saw the crescent moon, orange slightly above the horizon. A lone palm tree was silhouetted just beneath it, to the right. The sky was uncharacteristically clear (for Down Range, since I've been here, anyway), and above the moon, off to the left, were Venus and then Jupiter.

Those three heavenly bodies formed a straight line, angled at about maybe 60 degrees to the earth's surface. (I could be completely wrong about the angle; I didn't have a protractor with me. My bad.) It stopped me in my tracks.

It had been a long day, I was hungry, and I was very aware of being far from home.

As I pondered the night sky, I had no trouble imagining how the ancients would have viewed those orbs, suspended above, to be divine.

It was breathtaking, actually.

The urgency to get to dinner abated. Gratitude suffused my spirit. I hummed a melody I've been working on, as I sauntered on my way.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf