Friday, November 28, 2008

Mortaritaville


I was in a place recently that hadn't received any indirect fire in many, many months. While I was eating dinner, a round detonated perhaps 100 meters away, and another round landed somewhat closer, but it did not explode. Miraculously, no one was seriously injured.

It felt a bit odd to hit the floor, surrounded by a mass of other people, also on the floor, jostling to get their bodies under the tables and chairs. It does wonders for the digestion. Seriously.

Perhaps because there hasn't been any of this sort of activity at that place for so long, some people I spoke with afterward seemed pretty wigged out. They have since reported not sleeping well.

I, however, slept fine that night, there. I've slept fine since then, too. Having a really, really, really big Higher Power helps a lot in instances like this, I guess. I'm grateful for that.

I have noticed though, that since that experience, the first time I heard a thunderclap, I found myself wondering whether it was really thunder, or a mortar exploding.

I'd never, ever wondered that before.

It's one thing to recognize that people who know me might want to kill me. It's entirely another thing to acknowledge that people who *don't* know me are trying to kill me....

What's up with that?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf