Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Travail of Travel


Have I mentioned how much I loathe long-distance travel these days? My arthritis, patellar tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis go ballistic when I spend hours cooped up in small airline seats.

The miscellaneous joints and knees getting annoyed I understand, but what's with the soles of my feet getting so upset?

I wound up being in a window seat (rather than on the aisle, as I prefer, so I can get up and stretch my legs whenever I can), and since the Soldier next to me was sleeping soundly for most of each leg of the trip, I felt a bit trapped, and didn't move around as much as I probably needed to.

As an aside, on one of the legs of this seemingly interminable sojourn, we hit some of the most violent turbulence I've experienced in that last twenty years, at least. One guy, attempting to return to his seat, wound up on his knees in the center aisle, right next to me. One of the flight attendants barked over the PA system that the people on either side of him should hold down his shoulders with our forearms.

I complied.

After a long five or six minutes, and after the plane dived about 5,000 feet, we encountered much smoother air, and everything returned to normal. I found, perhaps because of my "Mr. Toad's Wild Rides" on Army aircraft, that the skipping and bumping and lurching and rapid descent were mildly amusing, actually.

What a difference a deployment makes, I guess!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf