Thursday, February 05, 2009

Simple pleasures

My parents send me some wonderful bread from time to time, along with some homemade rhubarb and rhubarb/strawberry conserve. Who knew that my Dad was such a kitchen wizard as to be making jams and jellies?

Just after Mom and Dad got home from visiting me while I was in the States recently, they put together a couple of boxes and sent them off to me. One of the boxes had lots of "snack-pack" M&Ms (plain and peanut) from my sister (thanks, Sis!) along with a nice summer sausage.

The other box had some home-made cookies (including the "yum-yums" my Dad's mom used to make; thanks, Mom!) and a loaf of bread from Great Harvest Bread Co. in downtown Northville. They make *wonderful* breads!

So imagine my chagrin upon finding out that, because of the changes going on here Down Range, anything that had been sent to my new address wound up languishing in a warehouse someplace, instead of coming here to me! Rats!

I finally received the boxes yesterday, more than three weeks after they were sent. We were all convinced the bread (and perhaps the cookies, too) would be toast, as it were. Or at least a penicillin factory. What a bummer!

Well, folks, I'm here to tell you that that Honey Whole Wheat bread was perfectly fine: still moist and flavorful and especially delicious for all it had been through. I figure the mark of good bread is to be able to eat it 'as is' -- sans toasting, butter, or other accoutrements. I even started off eating the heel -- tasty!

Once I added Dad's rhubarb/strawberry conserve, it helped me forget for a moment just how knocked for a loop I've been with this upper respiratory crud. Delicious!

So, if you're looking for some good bread, I'd encourage you to give Good Harvest Bread Co. a try! (I don't have any financial or other interest in them at all; neither does anyone in my family....) They have a website, and appear to ship their baked goods to points east of Colorado:

http://www.greatharvestnorthville.com/index.html

There's an ancient spiritual maxim which states: Go where you're fed.

This might be a good place to start!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf