Sunday, May 24, 2009

Iris

It's gotten really hot rather quickly here -- it was 119 degrees Fahrenheit in the sun around 1700 hours (5 p.m.) yesterday afternoon.

What few wild flowers have managed to survive until now won't last much longer.

It's brutal.

I saw lots and lots of Soldiers moving around wearing their full battle-rattle, in the midst of the heat of the day. Because I didn't go outside the wire yesterday, I didn't even touch my body armor, let alone put it on and go outside.

Just imagine having to move around the battlespace in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle on a day like yesterday, or be out on a foot patrol, or stand guard -- in all that gear.

Count your blessings!

I do.

Now that spring has sprung a leak and completely deflated, I realized I didn't see (or smell) a single iris this spring -- probably for the first time in my life.

I'm not sure why I love irises so much. Maybe it's because by the time they're blooming in Michigan, there's no way we'd be getting any more snow!

In any event, I found myself missing them yesterday, so I hunted up some photos I've taken over the years, to remind me of their intricate beauty.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf