Saturday, May 16, 2009

A visitor


Probably six weeks or so ago, while it was still reasonably cool (yesterday it was almost body temperature outside in the sun), and there was enough rain to support the flowering of the local vegetation, SFC McG noticed a butterfly that had managed to get trapped inside our office at work.

It seemed intent upon not being caught.

I respect that in a butterfly.

So I turned down the thermostat, and turned all the air conditioners on, and went back to my CHU (containerized housing unit; my upscale dumpster dwelling) for the night. As I'd figured, the office was very cool the next morning -- quite delightful, actually -- and the butterfly was pretty sluggish.

To be honest, it reminded me of myself before I got sober....

I was able to get close to it with the camera, and even to pick it up.

After I photographed it, I took it out into the bright and warm sunlight, and after a moment it swooshed up into the air and out of sight.

(The last photo shows one of these critters out in the field, as it's enjoying a wild geranium blossom.)

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it looks like a Painted Lady butterfly. They are quite common in CA. It's neat that wildlife tends to be similar in the same sort of ecosystem. I was watching a show about African wildlife, and they have a skimmer bird that looks almost identical to the type that I've seen in Southern CA.

Cool pix, by the way

Sandy Yagi

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf