Monday, June 29, 2009

Terra Firma


SFC McG and I were up before 0300 on Saturday morning, Iraq time, and as of 0430 Monday morning, Iraq time, neither of us had yet been to bed. SFC McG got lots of sleep during that time frame, while I did not. (We've been over this before here at "Curmudgeon," now, haven't we. 'Nuff said.)

Suffice it to say that he and I are now back at "Summer Camp" in southern Mississippi, after quite a trip back to the States from Iraq and Kuwait and Ireland's Shannon Airport. Perhaps we'll go over this more later, but for the moment, since at the time of this writing I've still not slept, thank God we're back in the States!

A multitude of thanks to all who have supported the two of us -- and through us all the Service Members and civilians we've been privileged to minister to -- during this past year. Your prayers, and packages, and postings bostered our spirits and lightened our hearts while we have been far from those we love most.

The day this post is published, Monday, is day 365 of my mobilization.

I remarked to SFC McG in the car shortly before our arrival at "Summer Camp," as we passed under the Military Order of the Purple Heart Memorial Overpass, how grateful I am *not* to have a Purple Heart, and how grateful I am to all who do.

He promised my parents that he'd bring me back safe and sound, and that he'd shoot me in the foot if I tried anything stupid, so that I'd at least arrive home alive.

I'm grateful he didn't discharge his weapon in my direction, despite the stupid things I *did* do....

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ



View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf