Thursday, July 23, 2009

I'm off!


So far the most difficult experiences I've had since joining the Army in my dotage have centered around casualties and casualty notifications. I'd not yet been in the Guard a full month when I was called upon to go to the home of a young Soldier while another Officer told them that their beloved boy had been killed in Iraq earlier that day.

My heart still aches for Bev and Jim and the rest of their family and friends for the sacrifices they continue to endure as the result of their son's selflessness and courage.

I had been hoping to get to see them while on leave and before taking off for parts unknown to me, but as I have to report in today (and I'm still not finished packing!) that's not going to be possible.

Jim and Bev had a birthday celebration for Michael late last month, which I missed by a little more than a week. I was sad I could not be there (I was in Kuwait, sweltering), but they said they understood.

Looks as though I'll miss next year's birthday celebration as well, since this latest adventure begins momentarily.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Kanani said...

Hey, your thoughts are with them. That counts for a lot.

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf