Friday, August 07, 2009

Everything hurts


Yesterday SPC C and I did land navigation (LANDNAV), for which we were up and about not later than 0400, so we could all be at the range and ready to go for a 0530 start time. I'd not been feeling all that great the day before, so I was very much hoping to make it through the course with no problems.

Last time I did LANDNAV here at this place, I wound up injuring the same ankle I'd had surgery on just four months before (as the result of an injury sustained during Chaplain Basic Training). I was very much looking forward to getting through with no problems.

Fortunately, SPC C is a real stud when it comes to LANDNAV, and we did just fine. It was very hot, and the battle rattle is a bit bothersome, but we negotiated the seemingly endless hills and valleys without either of us getting hurt.

I found myself humming "Every Valley Shall Be Exalted" from Handel's Messiah, and appreciating anew just how wonderful such a feat could be for a people traveling by foot over difficult terrain!

Because the long, dry grasses were quite slick underfoot, I found an old tree branch to use as a staff during what turned out to be a three-hour experience. Many others got done much more quickly than we did, but seeing as three of our four points were almost three kilometers away from the start, I figure we did pretty well.

I also insisted that we find all four of our points, even though we only needed three to get a "GO" for the lane.

SPC C, as I mentioned above, is great at LANDNAV.

It's not one of my strongs suits, however -- seeing as it took us an hour to find our first point (I was in the lead), and and hour to find the next three (SPC C was in the lead).

Sigh.

There are many gifts but the same Spirit, I suppose.

This morning, after that workout yesterday, everything hurts.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf