Monday, September 14, 2009

Peace-keeping games


We're going to Kosovo to help foster a safe and secure environment for the locals, as well as their freedom of movement. This means that our training here is supposed to be preparing us for that kind of mission.

One constantly hears people saying "we train as we fight," and while that's a laudable sentiment, I suppose, I'm finding it's taking more than a modicum of "willing suspension of disbelief" to buy into it.

The folks running the training here seem to be making it up as they go along, which could strike a person as odd, seeing as we'll be the twelfth iteration of US personnel going to Kosovo.

They'll be running a "game" meant to simulate our being over there running missions, with the goal that it be as realistic as possible. However, they've only given us four laptop computers (for our whole Headquarters Company) to use for the duration of this "game". This means that as Chaplain, I'm sharing a computer with three other -- very busy -- Staff sections.

Having worked out of a Division Headquarters when MSG McG and I were Down Range (when he and I had four laptops between us), I rather doubt I'll be sharing one computer with three other Staff sections when we get where we're going.

When I attempted to point this out to the powers that be, I was promptly shot down for "not playing the game."

There's a lot of truth to the adage, "There's the right way, and the wrong way, and the Army way to do things," I guess!

We train as we peace-keep.

Blessings and peace to one and all,

Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf