Friday, October 09, 2009

Uncovered


In the Army we seem to have to have our head covered whenever we're outside (except when wearing our PT uniforms). Until three years ago when I joined the Army, I was never big on wearing hats, and it took a while to get used to making sure my hat was on any time I left a building.

Actually, they seem to call it a "cover" more than a "hat."

While I was in Iraq, I always wore a boonie cap outside if I didn't have to have my helmet on. Even when I was in PTs. Some guys hate them, and some Soldiers were forbidden by their Command Sergeant Major from wearing a boonie cap ("because it doesn't look 'squared-away' enough").

I, for one, couldn't imagine wearing anything else, given how how the sun was, and the potential for sunburn. And skin cancer.

After all, the boonie cap has a brim all the way around, while the patrol cap (what we wear over here) had just a brim on the front, and the beret (worn in the States unless other headgear is prescribed) has no brim at all. (Have I mentioned that I really don't like the beret?)

Over here, we're not permitted the boonie cap, so it's patrol cap all the time.

Unless one can't find his.

The other day I walked into our TOC (tactical operations center) and a few minutes later went to leave. As I reached into the side pocket of my pants, to get my patrol cap, I noticed it wasn't there. Or anywhere. At all.

I searched and searched and asked everyone in the TOC if they'd seen my cover, but no one had. This was a great frustration, and an annoyance.

Fortunately for me I had my helmet in the TOC and was able to wear that back to the barracks, where I snagged my spare cover.

I'd had my Chaplain insignia sewn onto the cap (amazing how much people can charge for that sort of thing), and it has (had?) my last name Velcroed on the back, so it ought to be fairly recognizable.

Three days later, and it still hasn't turned up.

Weird.

Guess I'll have to buy another and get it sewn up when we arrive at our destination.

Until then, I hope I don't lose *this* one!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

dorothy said...

Hi Father,
Have you found your patrol cap? all of us are awaiting your next
blog. I hope you can adjust to all
the changes from your last deployment in Iraq to Europe. Thankyou so much for sharing your life,educating me about AA's,being
there for us when Justin was killed.We had a storm here on the
central coast of CA.3 0f my 150 yr.oaks are gone.Peace 2 U Dorothy B.exhawb

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf