Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Email exchange


Last week, since Thanksgiving Day was right around the corner, I sent an email to my Battalion Commander and Command Sergeant Major asking if there were plans to have the Battalion Staff serve Thanksgiving dinner to the troops. It's been a custom in many units to do that, over many years, but I'd not heard anything about plans for the holiday in that regard.

Several days passed, and I still had no reply.

Until Monday.

Here's my email traffic from Monday regarding this matter:

[From the Commander]
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE


Thought you'd find this interesting since you asked about it a couple of days ago.


6


[He forwards a WARNO (warning order) from the Commanding General indicating that he's the only person from our Battalion who's going to be serving food.]

("6" is the shorthand that's used to indicate the Commander.)

My reply:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE


Sir:


Thank you for forwarding this on, Colonel.


Prescience is not a gift, Sir. It's a burden.


Blessings!




Fr. Tim, SJ


Moments after I'd sent that note, I received the following retort:

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE


Those are the same conflicting feelings I have about you...gift or burden?
:-)
See what indignities I must endure on a daily basis???

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would say you are truly loved, in a rough, gruff, manly, commanding officer sort of way!
:-)))

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf