Monday, December 14, 2009

Third Sunday of Advent


Yesterday was "Gaudete" (pronounced gow-DAY-tay) Sunday, the Third Sunday of Advent. Gaudete is the first word in Latin from the introit for that liturgy. "Gaudete in Domino semper, iterum dico gaudete..." (Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I say, rejoice....)

For anyone familiar with an Advent Wreath (three purple candles and one pink one), it's the Sunday on which the pink candle is lighted.

The priest has the option to wear rose-colored vestments, instead of the traditional purple ones (or Sarum blue, if Anglican or Lutheran).


Fortunately for me, this place has no rose-colored vesture! I've been in some places that have simply hideous, embarrassingly-shaded 'rose' vestments, that felt even worse to wear than they looked. Ugh.


So it was "Rose Sunday" and as I left my room to walk to the shower in the morning, I was greeted with a simply spectacular sunrise. It wasn't exactly rose-colored, but it was much redder than normal.

I grabbed my camera, took a few shots of the horizon, as well as the door to my room (I found a wreath to hang on it), and then continued on with my morning. It was decidedly too cold to be standing around outside in a terrycloth robe and flip-flops!

Gaudete in Domino semper, iterum dico gaudete!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As I light the Rose candle on my own Advent wreath, I remember telling my children the story of Mary traveling to see her cousin Elizabeth, and that the babe in Elizabeth's womb lept at hearing Mary's voice. This was John, the forerunner and way shower, who would baptise Yesha one day in the River Jordan..sorry the Rose vestments are distaseful for you, we Episcopalians have rather nice ones...

Blessings on your third week in Advent!

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf