Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What a blast


When then-SFC McG and I were in Iraq, we'd hear the EOD folks (explosive ordnance disposal) detonate stuff from time to time. There'd usually be a prior warning, delivered over the base loudspeaker, which in that case always rendered whatever was spoken into it absolutely unintelligible.

In my limited military experience, that seems to be fairly common.

Why even bother?

One difference between being Down Range and being here (besides not being shot at, bombed, or IED'd here) is that voices projected over the loudspeaker here actually can be understood. Before EOD here sets off their detonations they announce them, in several languages. The sound quality of those P.A. system warnings is so good that I can even understand the French version.

Who knew?

Not long ago they gave the warning, so I grabbed my camera and tried to capture the experience, at least in part, for posterity. I considered taking a video of the event(s), but decided against it, suspecting my little camera would not be able to record the "boom" adequately enough.

Also unlike being Down Range, we're close enough to the EOD range here to feel the concussion after the blast.

That day, they set off multiple detonations, in fairly rapid succession.

I'd not heard anything that loud, or felt shock waves like those since I was Down Range.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf