Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One foot out the door


We recently went flying one afternoon when it was pretty hot, so the crew decided to fly doors-open. Since I had flight gear with the monkey tail, I volunteered to sit in the rear compartment so I could monkey-tail myself to the floor, and be free to move around while the aircraft was in flight.



This represents a huge change in outlook for me, as I had made sure while I was in Iraq that I was very securely belted in every time I flew. One of the my aviation buddies had said something a propos of one of the new pilots in their unit which described me well: "He just doesn't trust the aircraft."

I hadn't looked at it that way before, but that was definitely telling my story!

I figure I've come a long way, in terms of my acrophobia, since becoming Chaplain to these aviators! I'd have never thought this could be possible. 

It was a beautiful afternoon for flying, and I was able to get some great shots of the Church of the Black Madonna from the air.


Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf