Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Close-ups

At one of the FOBs that SFC McG and I visit on a regular basis, in what used to be known as the "Triangle of Death," there's a restaurant run by a couple of 'local nationals' -- Iraqis. The Soldiers call them "Jimmy and Timmy," but I suspect those might not be their actual Iraqi names....

The food is pretty good, and fairly inexpensive, so I've taken to treating SFC McG and the Chaplain Assistant from that place to dinner when we're there. (The food in the DFAC (dining facility) is reputed to be pretty iffy; there was a massive outbreak of food poisoning earlier in the deployment of the personnel there. So far, I've not had any problems eating at that DFAC, but it just seems prudent to avoid it, given that there's an alternative recommended by the Soldiers and Airmen at that post.)

I noticed two weeks ago that either Timmy or Jimmy (presumably) had put out a number of flower pots with pansies, roses, and other flowers in front of their shop, in an effort to beautify what is otherwise a pretty drab environment. I didn't have my camera then, and so didn't get any photos. Last week we didn't eat there, so I didn't get photos, either.

This week, because of the heat, and the ease of forgetting to water those small flower pots several times per day, the flowers are looking pretty ragged, but there are still a few that were worth photographing.

Even though my tiny camera is pretty beat up now, after ten months here, and probably loaded with dust inside (which can't be a good thing), a few of the photos are quite beautiful, so I wanted to share them. I have long loved to take close-ups of flowers, and the advent of affordable digital photography made this hobby a lot more fun.

The intricacy of the floral structures, coupled with the beautiful shapes and colors found therein, always brings me to a place of deep gratitude and awe.
For you, O LORD, have made me glad by your work;
at the works of your hands I sing for joy.
How great are your works, O LORD!
(NRSV: Ps 92:4-5a)
Easter blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf