Monday, October 12, 2009

Still waiting....

*If* I'm to go back to the States to finish up an Army course that I started more than a couple of years ago, I need to leave very soon in order to get there in time to sign in. Very soon.

Were I an Active Duty Chaplain, this course would mean a six-month Permanent Change of Station (PCS)move: the Army would pay to move my wife and children and pets and furniture and car to Fort Schoolhouse at their expense. (Hmmm. Is there a correlation between NOT being an Active Duty Chaplain AND not having wife, children, pets, furniture, and car???)

However, since I'm just a Reserve Component (National Guard or Army Reserve) Chaplain, *our* version of this course involves 68 credit hours of online coursework, followed by two weeks of Temporary Duty (TDY) at Fort Schoolhouse. (I finished Phase 1 in a few weeks' time more than two years ago now.)

The disparity between the two methods of doing this course seems pretty stark, eh?

In any event, it's getting down to the wire here, and I still have no idea whether I'm going.

More powerlessness!

In the meantime, we're gearing up here for a couple more weeks of training, most of which will involve going into "The Box" as it's called here. I'm told that everywhere else in this country the weather will be lovely, but inevitably it will be incredibly bad in The Box.


I'll keep you posted (as best I can, given how difficult internet access is at the moment).

Blessings and peace to one and all,

Fr. Tim, SJ

1 comment:

Dave said...

The saying, "perception is everything" comes to mind. I wish I could do C4 TDY. Having to PCS for a 6 month course likely means my family will have to live in 3 different places over the span of 1 year. I'm confident God will bless when that time comes, but I don't look forward to it.

Powered By Ringsurf