Saturday, January 02, 2010

Arco Iris


Yesterday my Rent-A-Chaplain-Assistant, SSG L, and I went back to the Post we visited a week ago, on Christmas Day.

The post was pretty well deserted yesterday afternoon; it seems as though a great many of the multinational forces there had had a wild party on New Year's Eve. Our U.S. Soldiers (well, at least the ones on *our* mission) aren't supposed to drink, so all of them whom I met yesterday were sober as a judge, if a bit grumpy about that fact.

I, of course, awoke yesterday very grateful not to be hung over! Hooray for the Higher Power!!

As it was the Feast of Mary, the Mother of God, SSG L had found a rather lovely icon of the Theotokos which he had placed into what passed as the Advent Wreath in the Post Chapel. (All of the Serbian Orthodox churches I've been to have even lovelier and larger icons of the Theotokos.)

It started to drizzle on our way back, and for a few minutes we saw one of the brightest and most complete rainbows I've ever seen. At one point it was even a double rainbow. The storm clouds soon blocked the sun's rays and the light show ended.

But while it lasted it was awesome, and a great way to begin a new year.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf