Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Of leg of lamb and rhubarb pie


My birthday passed here without any notice, though folks back home sent cards and gifts. Many thanks to all of you!

Anyway, that night I was feeling a bit blue, so I knew the cure for that was to have dinner with some of the Soldiers in my unit. Being the Chaplain, I have a lot more latitude to just barge in on a table full of Enlisted personnel, and I like that!

So I spotted a few of my Soldiers, and went to sit with them. As usual they welcomed me graciously, and I enjoyed the meal.


It wasn't my mom's cooking, that's for sure! No roast leg of lamb with her special mint dressing (no mint-flavored apple jelly in *her* house!); no fresh-off-the-stalk Brussels sprouts; and certainly no home-made (from home-grown) rhubarb pie for dessert. (I can't wait to get home!)

But I was in good company, and felt grateful to be here and with them.

I love my job.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Kanani said...

Happy Birthday! (Mine was the 24th).

You know, there's nothing like being around people who welcome and relish your being with them. It sounds like it was a wonderful birthday.

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf