Monday, July 12, 2010

Patience


Now that the aircraft have left Post to return to Germany, and thence to the States, Soldiers here in TF Aviation (and throughout KFOR-12) are getting even more antsy to get home.

I can't say as I blame them, but to be honest, I'm trying not to think about it.

After all, this *is* the Army, and things can change.

More and more folks are asking me if I'm excited about leaving, and each time I tell them I'll believe it when I see it. I mention to them that my experience has taught me to focus on doing the next right thing, and then whatever's going to happen will happen according to some other timetable than my own (usually).

By keeping my sights set on the near-term, on "the now," rather than on what *might* be at some indeterminate time in the future, I can stay sharp and see the mission through to completion.

But more than that, only be staying in the present moment can I have any possibility of conscious contact with a power greater than ourselves (as my friends who go to a lot of those AA and Al-Anon meetings put it). I've learned through experience that my God only exists in the present, and not in the past, nor in the future.

If I dwell in the past because of regrets or fears or resentments or whatever, I'm going to miss the surprises of finding God's presence in the "here-and-now." Ditto for attempting to live in the future because I find the past and/or present unacceptable. My God doesn't show up there. God only comes to me in the present moment.

So I'm not very excited about the return, whenever that might be. There's much to be done here before my mission is complete, and I'll keep my eye on that. At least for the present.

In so doing, I'll find the Presence.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf