Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Detroit-area farewell

It's now early Tuesday morning, 24JUN08, and I'm at Detroit Metro Airport waiting for my plane, which is now scheduled to leave at least 45 minutes late. Sigh. This sort of annoyance used to ruin my day, but nowadays it's just one of those things. It helps that my visit to my parents' home was such a great experience.

My friend Sam, a sober person, flew in and we were able to get to a noon meeting after a delightful breakfast at a nearby cozy diner. He got me a webcam for my laptop, so I should be able to do some 'face-time' with folks over Yahoo Instant Messenger (soberdiver) once I get set up down range. Thanks, Sam!

My sister Mary and her family drove in from far away and proceeded to work their tails off setting up the farewell party my parents hosted on Sunday. I cannot express my thanks to them adequately enough for all they did. They even came to the Mass at which I presided on Sunday morning (at 0730, before God is even awake), which is indeed a measure of their love for me and for Nana and Papa (who strong-armed them into coming).

Luis, a wounded Warrior from two tours in support of OIF, arrived Saturday night and immediately began making a photographic record of the festivities; I hope to post some of his photos soon. We had quite a number of military veterans at the party, and at one point a dozen of us got together for a group photo: 2 WWII vets, 2 Korean-War-era vets, and 2 Vietnam veterans, with the rest of us serving post-Vietnam. My cousin George is a bona fide hero with a Silver Star, three Bronze Stars with 'V' devices, a Purple Heart, and countless other decorations. It was humbling to be in the presence of so many who have served so courageously.

My college roommate Steve showed up on Saturday, since his son's baseball team probably wasn't going to make it to the finals of their series on Sunday. It's hard to believe that we met 34 years ago; he hasn't changed a bit (whereas what hair I have left is gray!).

On Sunday, about a dozen of my high school classmates showed up, thanks to the Herculean efforts of Tom and Mary Beth. Who knew, when we were at The High, that Tom would be "most likely to succeed at being cruise director"? It was a delight to see you guys again, and I deeply appreciate your support!

On my Dad's side of the family, Aunt Mary Ann, her son Johann, and her daughter Patty and family came; I'm truly bummed I didn't get enough time with any of them, especially Johann. Aunt Pat and Aunt Loretta drove all the way from NYC and upstate NY, respectively.

On my Mom's side of the family, her sister Jane and two of her children, George and Cathy -- plus family members -- came, along with my mother's cousin Charlie. It was a delight to see them all, but again, there just wasn't time enough to spend with each.

As for everyone else, they're just too numerous to mention. Thanks to one and all for the expression of support and affection! I'm hoping the pictures will be available soon.

In the meantime, I've got so much to do, and so little time in which to get it done, prior to the movers coming on Thursday, that it's anybody's guess what's going to happen. I'll keep you posted.

Blessings and peace to you in these troubled times,

Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

Powered By Ringsurf