Thursday, July 03, 2008

On my way....


What a week it's been! I apologize for not having posted before now. So much has gone on....

Right now I'm at the San Jose Airport, awaiting my flight to Atlanta and then to the mobilization station. My good friends from Santa Clara University ROTC showed up en masse to bid me adieu here at the airport -- at the buttcrack of dawn! What a delight!!

I was especially pleased to see so many of the newly-commissioned Second Lieutenants who showed up. Many thanks to CPT M for picking me up and schlepping my gear from my house to the airport. MAJ R was readying the Cadre and now-former Cadets for the arrival of LTC C when I got there.

I feel a great debt of gratitude to the Cadre, Staff, and Cadets of the Bronco Battalion who have taught me much about Soldiering, and about being an Officer. It was especially great to see Linda and Romeo here at the airport this morning.

The last couple of days have been filled with too much to do, and not enough time in which to get it done. Friends of mine who go to AA and/or Al-Anon keep suggesting that I say their Serenity Prayer.

When all else fails, follow directions, right? The Serenity Prayer really did help, a lot! Go figure. God, grant us serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference.

At 0130 when I finally lay down for a 90-minute nap, I'm not sure I made it all the way through that prayer before I fell asleep. 0300 came much too early! Time for that prayer again, I guess!

I just caught myself dozing with my finger on the "z" key, so I guess I'm pretty tired! I wasn't too tired to notice that Tom, the superior of my Jesuit community, was downstairs in the dark waiting for me to show up at 0400. Thanks, Tom!

I keep dozing off, so I'd better bring this to a close for now, and hope I'll be able to write something more later. I was so tired when I arrived at the airport, I'd forgotten where I'd put my camera (it was in plain sight in my shoulder bag!) Oh well. Linda took a bunch of photos, so I'll hope to post them as I get them.

They're about to board my plane, so please pray with me for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry that out. I have no idea what awaits me (which might be a blessing in disguise).

I have a reasonable belief it's going to be very, very difficult.

I'm relying on your support!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Jesuit Deacon said...

Fr. Tim,

You are quite an inspiration to us all! Until now, I never believed that there was a role in the military for men of peace. Thank you! It is a true calling and extremely courageous what you are doing. You are a true man for others! St. Ignatius would be proud.
I can only pray with you the serenity prayer and look forward to the day of your safe return. I hope to have the honor to greet you at the airport and meet yet another AWESOME JESUIT!
En Cristo,
Rubén

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf