Friday, October 03, 2008

Can you believe it?


Just a quick note for the time being.

A while ago I mentioned that SFC McG and I aren't *really* enough part of the unit to which we're attached to merit being issued the flame-retardant uniforms (two every six months) that everyone else who IS part of the unit gets. And that we're too much a part of this unit to be able to get them issued to us by our parent unit in the States.

Given that situation, I took one of the three-month-old uniforms I was issued during mobilization (shelf life = six months) to the "sewing point" to have seams and pockets repaired, because the uniform is already falling apart. The folks at the sewing point are very friendly and helpful.

Imagine my surprise when I learned that the uniform can't be mended here Down Range because they have no flame-retardant thread, and no other kind of thread is authorized to be used on these uniforms. It seems as though there are no plans for getting that thread, either, from what I gather.

Thus, not only am I not authorized replacement uniforms, I'm not even able to get the ones I have on hand -- which are falling apart three months before they're designed to -- repaired legally....

The next nine months should be very interesting. Good thing I have a vow of poverty, eh?

Ah, sweet mystery of life...!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

kt said...

Hi Fr. Tim! I drew you a picture:

http://randybowers.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/fr-tim-is-in-iraq/

love, KT

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf