Sunday, November 09, 2008

Rain


After being here Down Range for about 100 days, I finally got rained on a while ago. The rain came down like the 'gully-washers' I experienced 40 years ago when I was in Galveston, TX for the summer of 1968 visiting my aunt and uncle. I was instantly soaked, which actually felt pretty good.

For a while.

You see, I was on my way back from lunch to the office, and had about a 400-meter walk in the driving rain before I reached my destination. (Those of you who are still annoyed at my post "Salute Alley" will know what I'm talking about. [grin])

I had no rain gear with me.

Once I got inside, the interior temperature was set on "Kelvinator" and the fan in the room seemed to be oscillating faster than normal. One thing about the fire-retardant uniforms they issued us during Summer Camp is that they hold in the heat when it's hot out, and they don't dry very fast or well when in a cool environment out of the sun.

I pretty much froze until I was able to get 'home' to my CHU -- at 2300 hours.

That night all the lights along the walkway from where I work to the DFAC weren't working. They haven't worked since.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ


View My Milblogging.com Profile

2 comments:

gabefrumkin said...

Chaplain, hello. I was thinking about you and hope all is well. I really like your blog! Hang in there and remeber that you are in our prayers!

Gabe Frumkin

Unknown said...

Tim you are the man. You have taken on a challenges that makes you a hero in my book. My prayers are with you, be safe and see you when you get back. Your friend Silvio 74'

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf