Thursday, December 11, 2008

Road work


I posted yesterday about the rough places being made plain. That got me thinking about the rough roads around here where I'm living Down Range.

The roads around here are pretty iffy in a lot of places. (I was actually going to use different terminology to describe them, but figured this is -- or at least, ought to be -- a family-friendly blog, so I demurred.) In fact, one of the roads I travel fairly frequently is so hard on vehicles that I'll often drive on the unpaved shoulder of the road. While it's pretty bumpy, it doesn't hold a candle to the undulations and crevasses of the actual road itself.

(They're probably going to publish a new rule about having to wear Kevlar helmets even in non-tactical vehicles when on the roads here, because of all the bouncing around and bruising that goes on when traversing them.)

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed paving equipment appearing, and figured that help was on the way. It's as if someone else has been reading Isaiah 40, and would be following the admonition: "Make straight in the desert a highway for our God." (Be sure to listen to Messiah by G. F. Handel.)

Alas! It seems I miscalculated.

Today I had occasion to drive to a place about thirteen kilometers away from where I usually hang out. I noticed that probably a half-mile of the road has been resurfaced. It's nice and smooth where they've finished their work.

What's odd is that they're paving the part of the road that was already smooth to begin with.

They're not even moving in the direction of the worst parts; they're moving toward several kilometers' worth of fairly OK paving (for over here anyway).

My ride was as bumpy as ever.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ


View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf