Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mardi Gras

Perhaps because I've been clean and sober for over 29 years now, but Mardi Gras has not been that big a deal in my life for a long time now. I suspect today will be no different, in that regard.

It will be different from every other Mardi Gras I've ever 'celebrated', however, because I'm here in Iraq and will probably go out on a mission via convoy that will take all day. I'll be able to visit a couple of outposts I've wanted to get to since we took responsibility for religious coverage of those places a few months back.

And, since "every day in the Army is Sunday," I figure every day this week is Ash Wednesday, and we'll be observing Ash Wednesday with the Soldiers (and others) who show up. I celebrated Mass at a small place not unlike the ones we'll visit today, and one of the third-country nationals (foreign workers) who attended Mass could not speak very much English, so he sang several songs in Urdu as his contribution to the worship.

I didn't understand anything except the name of Jesus (I think!), but didn't feel the need to, either.

I pray that Mardi Gras be meaningful (and safe!) for each who reads this blog.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf