Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Commoddities

One of the phrases from 'priest-school' which I've never forgotten is "Nothing human is foreign to God." This is of course true for Christians who believe that the Incarnation means that Divinity has taken humanity into the Godself, through the person of Jesus Christ, who became "one like us in all things but sin" (to paraphrase a line from the Letter to the Hebrews).

At the risk of engaging in a bit of scatological humor (as opposed to eschatological humor, which could easily have followed from the somewhat theological opening of this blog post, I suppose), I've become very aware of the need to take care of bodily needs while over here Down Range.

Especially when I'm outside the wire.

I've decided to document some of the commode oddities I've encountered along the way, for whatever that's worth.

As I've mentioned before, one of the tiny posts that SFC McG and I have visited was still having to use 'burn barrels' when last we visited there. That was definitely a new experience for me, but a common one for military personnel over here, especially in the early years of this conflict.

Recently he and I went via convoy to several small outposts in the course of a single day, and at one of them I found some interesting signs, having to do with personal hygiene, shall we say. It seems that they recently switched from using 'burn barrels' to 'wag bags' (also described elsewhere in my blog; try the search function at the top of the page).

I must admit that I was a bit surprised by the language, if not by the sentiment. What the author of the lower proclamation lacks in spelling ability, he certainly makes up for in his enthusiasm and sincerity!

Commoddities.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf