Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, John O'Malley!


Today is the birthday of my mentor and friend, the great church historian John W. O'Malley, SJ. He has authored numerous books and scholarly articles, and is among the very best lecturers I've ever heard.

(Having gone to school through the 37th grade, I've heard a LOT of lectures, let me tell you!)

His 50th anniversary of ordination to the priesthood is coming up on Sunday, which is also nothing to be sneezed at for us Jesuits, seeing as many of us who have been ordained were ordained practically already in our dotage.

(I was in the Jesuits almost thirteen years before I was ordained, but that might just have been because I'm a slow learner or something....)

John's book, The First Jesuits, is a great read. I especially enjoyed it when it was published because John had been working on it while I was in priest-school. John and I lived in the same house (there were about eight of us, I believe), and every night at supper, as we all sat around the table, John would regale us with the latest gossip from 1580 (or whatever year he happened to be working on at the moment).

It was a blast.

Never has history been so much fun, as in John's house and class.

Speaking of things academic, I just found out that the University of Maryland University College - Europe has hired me as an Adjunct Professor in Philosophy and Biology, so that if there are enough military personnel in Kosovo this next year who want to take classes in those areas, UMUC-E will consider hiring me for the job.

That could be fun.

Happy Birthday, John. And Happy Anniversay (a little early), as well!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf