Monday, June 29, 2009

On the ground


Summer Camp hasn’t changed much since SFC McG and I were here a year ago, though it doesn’t seem quite as crowded now as it was then.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you!

We arrived at the Atlanta Airport Sunday morning amid the crush of units redeploying and other Soldiers and civilians going on leave. It seems as though we were originally supposed to have stops in Ireland and in Bangor, Maine. While we were in Ireland someone decided that we’d skip Bangor entirely, and fly non-stop to Atlanta. This meant a much longer (read: five-hour) layover in Ireland.

It also meant no welcome-home phalanx of greeters, as it turns out.

I’m told that the crowds in Bangor are legion, and the welcome enthusiastic and positively overwhelming.

There was no one there, other than airline personnel who had jobs to do when we got off the plane in Atlanta.

Upon arriving in Dallas when I was on my way home for leave in January, I experienced the Texas version of that kind of raucous welcome, but Soldiers on the plane who’d been through both Bangor and Dallas told me that nothing beats the intensity of the Bangor greeting.

All that being said, it’s good to be home, knowing that I won’t be going back to a war zone.

At least, not for a while, anyway.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf