Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Paladin Din


SFC McG and I wound up getting stuck Monday night at one of the places we visit with some regularity. It's probably the last time he and I will be going outside the wire, and I neglected to bring my overnight bag, which I've almost always brought with me to this place since we first got stuck here back in December.

Only seldom have we been here when the paladins have not fired at least a couple of rounds. (Paladin = M109A6 self-propelled 155mm Howitzer)

If you've never been in the vicinity of a paladin when it's fired, you've missed out on a real 'sensurround' experience!

One idiosyncrasy of this place is that those weapons seem to be fired only when I'm asleep, and usually only just after I've (finally) settled into a deep sleep -- no matter what time that happens.

Last night was no different.

I went to bed rather late, and probably not forty minutes after I was sound asleep, KABOOM!

Startled awake by the sound and the shock wave of the weapon being fired, but groggy enough not to know exactly where I was, I found myself on the floor next to the bed, since the best place to be during a mortar attack (other than somewhere else, far away, of course) is as low to the ground as possible.

I then remembered where I was, and that we were not under attack, and that the boys were just engaged in "pull string, go boom" as is their wont. I climbed back into bed.

About ten minutes later, just after I'd fallen asleep again, the paladins fired once more.

I did not hit the floor that time, however.

Let's see whether we get home today! I could sure use a good night's sleep.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ


View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf