Thursday, July 30, 2009

A fine whine


I've been saying Mass a lot since arriving here, and am just about through the second of the only two small bottles of wine I managed to find in the Post Chapel here. I'm told there's actually quite a bit of wine here on Post, but neither of the two keys to the cabinet where the wine is located is here, and I guess FedEx doesn't come out here.

Or something.

In any event, it's quite clear that I'm not going to get any more wine from this place, so that means I have to go into the city to buy some.

Now, I've not bought a bottle of wine in a long, long time -- close to 30 years (but who's counting?). I'm not really wild about the idea, as it turns out.

So, yesterday I found myself in the company of a lot of people who go to a lot of AA meetings (it never ceases to amaze me that this happens to me so often), and decided to share about this with them, seeing as they might be able to identify with my discomfort over the situation.

Now, as it turns out, I'd found myself in the company of quite a number of the same people eighteen months ago when I was at this Post doing the same training I'm doing now -- and they remembered me! Go figure. It was good to see familiar faces, even if I could not remember their names.

As I was getting into my vehicle afterward, two of the guys I'd just met came up to me, and one said, "I own a wine cellar" while the other said, "I work for a vineyard; would you like me to give you some wine?"

These are guys who go to a lot of AA meetings.

How strange is God's sense of humor, eh?

So I now have a bottle of merlot and and shiraz something-or-other, which I'm led to believe are probably pretty good. I won't know, of course, since others will consume them, but I do find it amusing in excelsis.

Several of the guys in the barracks saw me bringing them in and locking them up in my footlocker.

I might have some congregants at Mass this weekend....

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And, the miracle is that the fine whine will be in the communion cup on Sundays.....

Blessings on all your adventures!!!

msg :-)

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf