Monday, August 10, 2009

Combatives


Chaplains are non-combatants, meaning we can't pick up weapons under any circumstances. We can, however, practice self-defense techniques that don't involve the use of weapons.

Eighteen months ago as I was going through this training in preparation for the deployment to Iraq, we spent a morning learning the basics of Modern Army Combatives. It was a very strenuous workout and left me exhausted.

I promptly forgot just about everything about that training, as it happens. This became painfully clear the morning we were doing combatives training this time around.

Two other things also became quite clear:

1) I'm never going to be good at combatives because
2) my arthritic joints continue to worsen as I get older.

Last time I was just really sore and tired after the training. This time I can barely move!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf