Monday, August 24, 2009

I love my job


I think I've mentioned this before, but I really love being a Chaplain. I have access to Soldiers (and others) that other Officers don't have, and get entrusted with the deepest dreams and fears and longings of people whose life stories amaze and humble me.

Junior Enlisted personnel who would never dream of speaking with their Company Commander (usually a Captain, as I am) readily approach me to bare their secrets, knowing that the Chaplain is a safe person in whom to confide.

Though I've only been with this unit a short time (a month yesterday), I've already had significant conversations and prayer with many of my comrades.

I suspect I've pointed out before that I'm constantly amazed by the burdens that human beings shoulder, often in silence and solitariness. These men and women are no different. Again and again I've already heard stories that break my heart or lift my spirits -- or both.

We're still on US soil, but we're already far from loved ones, and the pressures and griefs have settled in, early on, for some. I'm grateful that almost 30 years of hanging around with women and men who go to a lot of AA and Al-Anon meetings have given me inner resources that others my age (and certainly much younger!) don't seem to have.

As long as I'm reminded that 'messiah' is not part of *my* job description, and that I need to detach with love, seeing as no matter how much I love my Soldiers, I can have a God who loves them more -- so I need to get out of God's way and let that happen -- I'll be able to be of service to my guys and gals.

Being here with them is God's gift to me.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Every human being needs a safe friend, military persons more so than some. Blessings on the path you walk, the service you render, and One you are a channel for!

Kanani said...

I think your age has a lot to do with your approachability. Your breadth of experience is also a boon, but in the end, there is the good will you radiate, and I suspect that's what they're really drawn to. The fact that you practice understanding with love, and treat each person with dignity and respect really shows up on this blog.
Job well done! Glad you love it. Glad to see you're thriving.

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf