Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Sunset at the range


Shortly after I arrived here for training, I went out to the ranges to say Mass for Soldiers who were waiting for night qualification with their assigned weapons. This usually meant they'd be standing or sitting around in 100-degree-Fahrenheit heat (shades of Iraq!) in full battle-rattle for a couple of hours (or more) for the skies to darken sufficiently for the night firing to commence.

A couple of times I was at a range where there wasn't anything like a table to use as an altar, and vehicles were parked too far away to be able to use the hood as a platform, so I just spread out on the ground and made do.

The sunsets each night were lovely.

The contrast between the beauty of the day's end and the potential for violence represented by the actions of the Soldiers who were testing their marksmanship was rather stark.

I can safely report that until I joined the Army I'd never before had the experience of saying Mass while automatic weapons were being fired only a matter of less than 100 meters away.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What better place to remain aware and in touch with the Great One! "My peace I leave with you..." With or without weapons being fired, there is a peace in the sky, and wherever we seek it. Thanks for being there!

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf