Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What I learned in school today....


My parents usually asked me what I learned in school today, when I was in grade school. I'm pretty sure my stock answer was, "nothing." That certainly was an unhelpful response, in retrospect.

Yesterday we spent much of the morning going over paperwork, and "getting to know one another," and generally freezing our butts off. Fort Schoolhouse doesn't have enough room at the inn (literally), so not only are we staying off-post in a hotel -- quite a nice one, as small hotels go -- but we're not meeting on-post either!

They have us gathering at a building just outside one of the gates to Fort Schoolhouse. Either the thing is built over a hidden glacier, or the thermostat is stuck on "meat locker".

It's late October here, and 38 degrees Fahrenheit in the mornings when we get to class, but it winds up being warmer outside than in the building. Brrrr!

After a lunch of fast food (I'd not had fast food like that in a long, long time), we were back to the ice house for some instruction.

Perhaps it was the torpor induced by the near-hibernation temperatures, but when I spoke with my parents last night, and they asked me the same question as years ago, I found myself giving them the same response.

Blessings and peace to one and all,

Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf