Monday, November 23, 2009

Once Upon a Mattress


When then-SFC McG and I arrived in Iraq a year ago August, we showed up at the Post which would be our home for the next eleven months and were assigned living quarters. As we collected our room keys, we were issued bedding: a new pillow, two sets of sheets, two pillow cases, a light blanket, and a (rather nice) comforter.

Think about it: it was IRAQ (temperature setting: "convection oven") and we were issued a *comforter*. Seemed a bit odd at the time, though it actually came in handy.

So last month I arrived here at my newest military home-away-from-home, to the thermometer reading "below freezing" already, and the prospect of deep snows in the not-so-distant future, and collected the key to my room. Much to my surprise, and consternation, we were issued no pillow, sheets, pillow cases, blankets, and certainly no comforter.

What's us with *that*?

(Thanks to the largesse of a good friend of mine, a very wonderful down comforter showed up yesterday, preceded a few days earlier by a handsome duvet cover. I bought a fluffy pillow from the PX (Post Exchange). I'm told some very nice sheets and pillow cases are on their way, as well. Thanks, Mary!)

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having grown up in Colorado, I learned that in cold places a pair of warm, wooly sox on the feet at night in my bed made a huge and possitive difference in comfort. Somehow warm feet or cold feet determine the condition of the rest of the body!

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf