Thursday, January 21, 2010

More horsing around


In addition to the crazy drivers over here (who'll pass on a blind curve, for example), we have to put up with vehicles on the roads that I have either never seen before (they're called "Kosovo Harleys") or that I've only ever seldom encountered.

The Kosovo Harleys have to be seen to be believed; unfortunately, I've never been able to snap a photo of one which would do justice for the uninitiated. I'll keep trying, however, and post one at some point.

Not long ago SPC C and I were driving somewhere and we wound up behind one of the many horse-drawn contraptions which congest the roads in these parts. Locals buzz past them with great regularity, seeming to dare the oncoming traffic to hit them in the process.

We encountered this guy on his merry way somewhere, just as we entered the town where we were to meet up with one of the religious leaders we chat with regularly.


It was cold and drizzly, so the roads were pretty slick and dangerous. I chose not to open the window to try to get the photos of the thing, since I didn't want my camera to get wet.

That did not keep others from defying death in order to get around this guy, but fortunately SPC C drives responsibly, and we just followed along behind this vehicle until he eventually turned off the road, and we continued on our way.

Just another day here in Kosovo....


Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf