Monday, February 08, 2010

Leading by example


My unit has been on Active Duty now for six months, and we've been here in Kosovo for the last three.

We've become a family, as you can see in these 'family portraits' taken just a couple of days ago. As the oldest Officer in the Battalion, I'm feeling decidedly avuncular toward these young'uns.

Almost all of them (with the exception of a very, very few of the most junior of the Enlisted) have been in uniform longer than I have, so I figure I have lots to learn from just about everyone. I avail myself of every opportunity to grow in wisdom that I can find.

In these photos, one of the other (younger but senior) Officers is demonstrating for me a leadership technique which delights his subordinates (well, most of them, anyway, as can be seen by facial expressions on, well, all but one of the others in the photos), and has yielded increased productivity (from those who survive).

My Soldiers are highly-trained professionals, and always conduct themselves with the utmost professionalism and decorum. I'm grateful for the mentorship I've been receiving since joining up with them right after my return from Iraq.

(This message has NOT been brought to you in any official capacity whatsoever; do not attempt to replicate this behavior outside a controlled military environment.)

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

1 comment:

Kanani said...

I love this! Becoming a family is wonderful and enduring.

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf