Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Bird's-eye view


About two months ago I went with my next-door office mates to one of the highest elevations on Post. They needed to take down some radio transmission antennas, and as it was a nice day (if a bit cold), I decided to go along with.

There are great views of the whole installation and surrounding countryside from up there, which I'd heard about, but hadn't yet experienced. This is mostly because I've never run up there, as most of my buddies have. With my permanent no-run profile from the Army, I am not permitted to run up there even if I wanted to.


That morning the sky above us was clear and the sky was a bright blue, while there were clouds building up on the horizon. As it turned out, it snowed later that day, but at least now while we were up there.

Perched high atop a pole about 100 meters from where I was standing was a hawk of some sort (I think), surveying the territory below, as I was, but probably for other reasons.


It's not hard to imagine why ancient peoples found mountain tops to be loci of spiritual experiences. From high places, on clear days, the ability to scan 360 degrees always helps me to get more of a sense of proper perspective on my place in the world around me.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ

View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf