Thursday, June 10, 2010

Luau


The month of May was Pacific Island Heritage month for the U.S. Army. The good folks at Morale, Welfare, Recreation (MWR) determined that a great way to observe this theme would be to celebrate by having a luau, replete with a roasted pig, and traditional Polynesian dance. It turned out that a sizeable percentage of those dancers came from Task Force Aviation (TF AVN), though I suspect there were only a few actual Pacific Islanders among them.


The afternoon was bright, but not particularly warm. I was grateful not to be among the dancers, not least for the fact that I don’t look good in that get-up, and I know I’d have been uncomfortably cold.



Lots of people got involved to make the evening a success. There was abundant food, and it was delicious. The music and dancing reminded me of wonderful times I’ve spent in Hawai’i and Fiji. It’s been more than a decade since I’ve been to either of those places, so the association with those pleasant memories delighted and surprised me.


Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf