Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Change


There was a song from the mid-80s that I liked (lyrics by Bernard Ighner, though I can't remember who the female vocalist was) which came to mind as my plane landed in California after being released from the demobilization process in Indiana:

Everything must change
Nothing stays the same
Everyone must change
No one stays the same

The young become the old
And mysteries do unfold
Cause that's the way of time
Nothing and no one goes unchanged

It's a very evocative, lyrical piece, as I remember it. Suffused with sadness and not a little regret, the song conveys a message of hope, which is probably why I liked it the first time I heard it.

I was reminded of that song as my plane was taxiing to the jetway at the San Jose Airport. The first time I flew in there, in 1990, the place was a veritable 'Hooterville' -- and the first time I'd ever seen or used "skystairs" to disembark an aircraft.

Eventually another terminal was built, so that there were both the "A" terminal (the new one) and the "C" terminal. I guess they had plans to build a "B" terminal, but over the course of the next 15 years, it never materialized.

I began referring to it, almost immediately, as the "D-minus" terminal. "C" was far too generous a grade!

Imagine my surprise, then, upon landing and seeing that the "C" terminal has been razed, and both the new International and "B" terminals (I guess) are open for business. Moreover, there's now a huge new, multi-story parking structure, and bridges and tunnels that didn't exist a few years ago.

The place actually looks like a real airport now.

Who knew?

Everything must change....

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf