Thursday, July 15, 2010

Happy Birthday!


One of my Army buddies, who had been an undergraduate in ROTC when I was teaching in the midwest a decade ago, celebrates his birthday today.

He's an amazing Soldier, and a wonderful young man. He's been a great power of example for me over the past three and a half years as I've tried to learn how to be an Officer in the U.S. Army.

Besides his amazing intellect (he scared me when he was an undergrad, he's so bright), and his encyclopedic recall of military history, he caught my attention long ago because he was a violinist in his spare time.

Three combat deployments to Iraq later (from which, each time, he brought all his men home alive -- no mean achievement for an Infantry unit involved in significant engagements with the enemy), he's still going strong and will soon be promoted.

That'll be yet another of my student whom I'll have to address as "Sir" or "Ma'am"....

Happy Birthday, Jason! Sir.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf