Thursday, June 24, 2010

The ghost town


There are a number of towns we fly over that once were thriving, but were abandoned after the most recent war here. Several of these towns had been populated by ethnic Croatians.



There's a very large -- abandoned -- Catholic church in one of those ghost towns. It looks to be a very impressive and beautiful edifice. I've since learned that the war happened just a few years after the church was built.



I call this place a ghost town, but there are actually two old people who live there. They're very poor, and I can't even begin to imagine how tough their lives must be.



It seems hard to believe that a town of this size could just disappear.  My friends who go to a lot of AA and Al-Anon meetings have been telling me for years that resentment shuts us off from the sunlight of the spirit, and that it's the number-one killer of alcoholics.  The fact that people were driven away from a thriving town bears witness to the awful and destructive power of resentment.

God help us all.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf