Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The third year


In light of yesterday's two-year anniversary of being on Active Duty orders (so much for one week per month, eh?), today begins the third year of being mobilized/deployed for me.

I'm grateful to know that my mobilization/deployment time is rapidly drawing to a close, but I've not started counting down days, as have many of my friends.

I found while I was in Iraq that if I didn't mark time, time seemed to pass more quickly for me, so I've continued that plan here. As I look back on the past eight months, that seems to have been true again.

I'm encouraging those whom I meet to focus on doing the next right thing, rather than on how many minutes or hours or days they have left here. I'm not sure whether they're taking me up on this suggestion, but it does have the net effect of reminding myself to keep focussed on what's really important.

Consequently, I'm enjoying myself now, rather than telling myself that I'll be able to have fun at some point down the road.

My friends who go to a lot of AA and Al-Anon meetings have taught me this truth, and I'm glad they have.

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf