Thursday, July 01, 2010

Views from above


One of the great things about the opportunity to fly around with my aviators is to get a different perspective on prior experiences. Wider perspective are usually a good thing, after all.

When my brain tells me there's at most one option, or perhaps no options at all, I become agitated, fearful, and eventually very depressed. I feel trapped and pessimistic. That's a problem with a lack of proper perspective.

But when I remember what my friend who go to a lot of AA and Al-Anon meetings have been telling me for over thirty years now, that if I remember to breathe and to say the Serenity Prayer, I can usually discover there are more options available to me than I'd convinced myself.

At the very least, I'll have reminded myself that I can have a really really big Higher Power in my life who's not lacking any essential skill sets necessary to deal with whatever mess I've made or find myself in.

A while back I wrote about a visit to a mosque on the top of a hill in a town not far from Post. We recently flew over that mosque, and it was great to see it from a different perspective.


We also flew over churches I've concelebrated Mass in: the octagonal one with the splendid frescoes adorning its walls and ceiling, and the Church of St. Nicholas.


Amazing how different things look from hundreds of feet up in the air!

Blessings and peace to one and all,


Fr. Tim, SJ
View My Milblogging.com Profile

No comments:

 
MilBlogs
Powered By Ringsurf